Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Mixed Media Journal

OK, here is what I said I was working on in my last post:
 I was inspired by this post by Patter at Triple the Scraps. You really need to take a look at her journal. It is awesome! I am not using mine so much as a journal. It is more of a list of supplies like my distress inks so when i am out shopping I can look at it and know if I already have that color or not. I also have my Spellbinders, distress Markers and stains, Stickles and much more in my list journal.
This is what the journal looked like before I had fun with it.
I dug out my distress stains and used Broken China all over the front back and inside pocket on the back then went around all the edges with Vintage Photo distress stain then misted heavily with water so the colors could blend. Once I figured out where I wanted my stamping to go I then ran Picket Fence distress ink over that area. I stamped the ledger stamp from Purple Onion Designs in Tuxedo Black Memento ink over where I had swiped the Picket Fence stain. I found a Tim Holtz stamp that I thought was fitting and stamped that over the ledger stamp with the same ink. I also had a Studio G stamp, Create! that I stamped at the top and the scissors I stamped around the sentiment.
  I had fun using things from my stash that I have had for a long time and just never found a layout or card to use it on. That is why I used the sparkly leaves. I think I should have used something else after the fact but there they are.
 I have had this pretty little crochet flower in my stash for a while and I needed something in the bottom right corner to add some more weight than the little chipboard corner piece I had.
On the other hand I am really happy how the label turned out. I had the Caution: Artist at Work stamp and I was just going to stamp it right on the background then put the chipboard frame (which I covered with Wild Honey distress stain) over it. Then I thought of using this little black and kraft label. It is hard to see but I lightly spritzed the label with Bahama Blue mist from Tattered Angels before stamping on it. I layered the chipboard frame  and added the brads.
 And the other element that I was really happy about is the chipboard flourish. I covered it with Tim Holtz Tissue tape then sprayed it with the Bahama Blue mist. I then inked the edges with Vintage Photo distress ink. I use the inking tool on the parts I could then finished it by taking the foam piece off the inking tool and just using my hands so I could get into the tight places. Oh, yes I covered the flourish and the front cover with Mode Podge so it is really shiny.
 This is the inside pocket on the. back of the journal. Is just stamped a border stamp in black at the bottom then the library card above which is from Papertrey Ink and added some words to it which are also from a Papertrey Ink set of stamps. I haven't covered it with mod podge yet because I may add some more stamping at the top yet
 This is just another angle of the front cover so you can see the dimension maybe a little better.
The little wood bird was the last detail to be added. He was just the right size to fit. I inked him with Wild Honey and the branch is inked with Vintage Photo. I spritzed it with a bit of water and I really liked how the water blended the ink.
This is the back. It is just covered with Broken China and Vintage Photo ink stain then misted with water. I think I am going to leave it plain. I don't want journal too thick and bulky since I carry it in my purse. I will cover it with Mode Podge though.
There you have it! I know the journal isn't a work of art, but it is so freeing just to create something where you can try new techniques or just throw whatever you want together. If you haven"t done this yet you should give it a whirl.So fun!
Have a great day!

Teresa

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, this turned out beautiful! LOVE the colors, those scissors with the quote, and the crochet flower is the perfect touch. So glad you jumped in and had fun. Now you can probably see why I want to do more. LOL! Thank you SO much for sharing with me, and enjoy that journal. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.