Monday, September 5, 2011

New Way to Make Meatloaf

I have some tips to share on how to bake meat loaf  in 45-50 min instead of 11/2 hours.

I was thumbing through one of my many recipe books and came across a recipe for Zucchini Meat Loaf. Now I wasn't interested in making meat loaf with zucchini but what did catch my eye was how they baked it and how short the bake time was.
The secret is in the shape. Instead of baking it in a loaf pan put it in a 9" deep pie plate. Bake for 35 min. Take it out and spread the topping on and return to oven and bake 10-15 min longer.
Here is the topping that I use:
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 tablespoon ketchup
1/2 yellow mustard
While meat loaf is baking mix all topping ingredients in a small bowl.


To serve cut the meat loaf as you would a pie.


Another tip that I do with my meat loaf is to make it up in the morning, put it in the pie plate, cover with foil and put in the refrigerator until I'm ready to bake it. I do this if I know we are having a busy day but want a nice dinner. That way I just pop some baking potatoes and the meat loaf in the oven and we have a good dinner with little effort and not much to clean up.

I hope these tips help to get a nice hearty dinner for your family on busy days like it does for mine.  Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. Found your blog through Inspiration Showcase class and thought I'd take a look.My Mom always used her cast iron skillet for meatloaf. This brings back wonderful memories.
    Love your butterflies and cards you made for the class.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.