Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cheeseburger Macaroni

Found this recipe on http://www.kevinandamanda.com/ . This recipe reminded me of the Hamburger Helper version but much healthier and almost as quick.

1 lb lean hamburger meat
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies ( or petite diced tomatoes)
2 cups beef broth (or water)
1 cup elbow macaroni

Meat Mixture

Brown and drain hamburger meat. Stir in taco seasoning, Rotel, beef broth, and macaroni. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cover pan. Simmer 12-14 min or until macaroni is tender.

Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce:

3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Cheese Sauce Mixture

Melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking for 5 min until fragrant and light brown in color. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Whisk until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese  until melted. Add the salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the hamburger mixture. Stir gently to combine.
Serves 4

Cheeseburger Macaroni

The first time I made it I followed the recipe except I used whole wheat flour assuming they used all purpose flour. It was good but just a tad too spicy hot for my mild palate. The second time I made a few changes: 
1) I used ground turkey instead of hamburger
2) Used a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of the Rotel to make it a little more mild and  
3) Used whole wheat macaroni.
It came out great. It was a bit less hot and it was even healthier with the whole wheat macaroni and turkey.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.