Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Colors to Brighten You Day

It is a gray day here in the Pacific Northwest but I do have a card to put a bright spot in the day. :) I ran across the blog of Colour Q and couldn't resist the colors: Basic Gray, Daffodil Delight, Real Red, Cool Caribbean and White.
I paired the colors up with sketch #88 from Freshly Made Sketches


 I'm not going to lie, I had a hard time getting started with these colors. After rummaging through my pattern papers I realized I didn't have any with these colors together. So I decided to start with picking out a stamp. I ended up picking a cute flower stamp from Hero Arts. I stamped it with Dove Gray Memento ink  then traced over the stamped image with a clear glaze pen so the image is now shiny and almost looks like it has been embossed.

 I also tried stamping the flowers on red and yellow cardstock and cutting them out to add color to the flowers but the gray ink did not stand out on the colored cardstock and plus the flowers were so small that they did not look good hand cut. So then I tried coloring the flowers with markers but I didn't like that either so I just left them plain for the time being and moved on.
I used the gallon, quart and pint method with the colors. Daffodil Delight as the gallon, Cool Caribbean Blue as the quart, and Real Red as the pint. I usually don't pay too much attention to rules but the gallon, quart and pint rule really made things easier on me today.
I matted the white focal image onto a gray mat and added  mini red pom pom trim to the left side of the gray mat. Out of the three colors left I thought the gray mat looked best against the yellow and that left the blue for the strip towards the bottom of the card. I dry embossed the blue strip with hearts and then adhered everything together. I did do one last thing to the stamped image before adhering it. I was determined to add some color to the flowers. I finally thought of using mini and teeny tiny brads. The brads were the perfect solution. Now the flowers had color and it helped pull the card all together.
It is a sweet little card and I left it without a sentiment. I think it would make a great get well or birthday card with it's bright and cheery colors.
Wishing you all a bright day!
Teresa

8 comments:

  1. Cute card, Teresa! Thanks for joining in the fun at the colourQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This certainly brightened up my day as its been wet & miserable here in the UK too! Great take on both challenges. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful day-brightening, smile-making card! Lovely flowers; lovely colours; perfect for the challenges!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there stranger! It is so nice to see that you are back crafting again! Sure missed seeing your pretty cards!

    Love what you have done with these colors! You're a heck of a lot braver than I am...I ran for the hills when I saw this combo! But you, awesome lady, have whipped up a fantastic compilation of sheer delight!

    Yep, the brads on the flowers totally tie everything together - good eye for element placement, perfectly balanced design!

    Stunning card!

    Yay - I just signed up to follow by e-mail. Looking forward to not missing a single post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya learn something new everyday...I have never heard of the gallon, quart, pint thing before. Very interesting!

    Those brads are PERFECT! They instantly drew my eyes in!

    So happy to see you crafting again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun! I think you did just fine when you finally got your colors going!! Thanks for joining us at ColourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute card! Bright and cheerful colors! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I love the tip on the amount of color to use. That will help me with some of the color challenges now. ;) I love how yours turned out and I think you went with perfect amounts of each. Such a lovely spring card. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.