Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Scrappy Thank You Cards

Thought I would share these cards with you since it is a great way to use up some scraps.
Here are the two cards:


The card on the left is what my original idea was and the second card is made with the negative from die cutting the tree. So I ended up with two cards from one idea.


To make the tree I used a piece of scrap white paper that was bigger than the Papertrey Ink tree die but you really could use any color as you are going to cover it. Next I just raided my green scraps and I wasn't too picky about the length just as long as they were longer than the width of white paper. I cut the paper into widths of 1/4" and 1/2" but you could make them all the same width if you wanted to. Once the white paper was covered with strips of solid and pattern paper ( I used a tape runner to adhere the strips) I then just trimmed all around the edges so the strips were the even with the white paper. It is faster just to let the strips over hang and then trim instead of taking the time to cut them to the same length.


Next lay the die over the white paper with the green strips and run it through your die cutting machine. If you plan on using the negative make sure you put the die on where you want it. For mine I just made sure it was centered. I inked the edges of the tree with Vintage Photo Distress ink. When you have a lot of detail like the tree it is easier to take the pad off the inking tool and just use the pad. It gets in the nooks and crannies very well that way. I found a piece of green scrap paper the size of my card front then I tore a strip of scrap white paper and inked the torn edge with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink and adhered it with pop dots to the green paper at the bottom. Then I wrapped some metallic floss around the tree before adhering it to the card. I used pop up dots on the tree to adhere it to the green part of the card and then tape runner on the part of the tree that was on the white paper. I stamped the sentiment in black ink. Then I matted that with a dark brown cardstock and adhered it to the cardbase. Stamped the sentiment in the middle of the tree with black ink and that was it.


For the next card I simply backed the negative space that was left from the die cut tree with a scrap of green pattern paper using pop up dots to adhere it.
 
 

Oh I forgot I also inked the inside of the negative with Vintage Photo Distress ink again with just the pad.


I was able to make both cards using just scraps. I really like the card made from the negative the best and it was the afterthought.
Which one is your favorite?

You could do the same with a flower or butterfly die or just about any die you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.