Thursday, February 21, 2013

One Big Bad Bird

After walking the dog this morning I saw what I thought was an owl high up on the top of an electrical pole. A few nights ago there had been two owls sitting on that same pole hooting away. I wondered why an owl would be out this late in the morning. Maybe he had a bad night of hunting.

 Then it turned its head towards me and I saw it was a huge hawk of some kind. He was watching mostly in the direction of the road, probably in hopes of getting an easy meal from road kill.

 
 I had to be patient and wait for him to look my way so I could get a good photo of his face. I had to be ready and quick because he would only look my way for a few seconds then turn back towards the road.
(You might want to click on the photos so you can see a larger view)
 I don't have any idea what kind of a hawk it is but it sure made my morning walk a little bit more exciting.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

Teresa



2 comments:

  1. I'll ask tonight with my sweety gets home. He's really good and identifying birds, especially hawks. (He raises homing pigeons, so he has to keep an eye out for hawks.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He thinks it might be a Red Tail Hawk, although he's not sure if they are indigenous to Washington State.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.