Friday, March 16, 2012

Sticky Back Canvas

I found this fun and unique way of using sticky back canvas on a video from Lawn Fawn click here and watch this technique for yourself: http://lawnfawn.blogspot.com/2012/03/lawn-clippings -video-31312.html 

This is the sticky back canvas I used. It is 31/2" x 21/2". I used Modge Podge instead of the multi medium just because that is what I had on hand and I wanted to try the technique right then. The Modge Podge worked great.
 Here is a close up of the canvas. It is regular canvas with adhesive on the back and it comes in larger sizes but this is the only size our local craft stores carry and I thought it was a good size to use on cards.
The first step is to remove the protective covering from the sticky side of the canvas then apply your pattern paper right side down to the adhesive. Mist the paper with water and allow to soak in. With thicker paper you will have to mist it a few more times. Start rubbing the paper with your fingers and it will start to come off leaving behind the pattern on the canvas as shown in the photo below. 
Let the canvas dry then apply your multi medium or Modge Podge and let it dry. Here is what the finished canvas looks like. Here is a tip: be careful not to rub too much or you will rub the adhesive off and lose the pattern.
I used the sparkle Modge Podge on this piece.
 I made this thank you card with the finished canvas. I framed it using nestablilities.
 The paper is called Linen Closet and is from DCWV. The butterfly punch is Martha Stewart and all the paper edges are inked with vintage photo distress ink.
  Here you can see a little bit of the sparkle on the canvas. BTW the canvas is pliable not stiff.
 I had so much fun with this technique that I had to make another one. This time I used the regular modge podge.
Here is the card I made with my second canvas. It looks like a mini piece of art when when you frame it.
 I stamped the sentiment and umbrella with black ink.
 I tore pattern paper for the sand and stamped and cut out the sun on yellow cardstock. I used pop up dots for the canvas frame and the "it's your special day". I stamped "dad" directly on the paper.
 The pattern paper is called Animal Crackers and is from DCWV. The cardstock is from CM.
If you want to see the photos better just click on them.
If you have used this technique I would love to see your projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.